MySQL connectiviy

Hello all,
I'm new to PHP and would like to start using mySQL (or postgresql) but I keep having one problem.
In a php file i have a simple call to the function
mysql_connect()

but i constantly get the error
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_connect()

MySQL support was installed with
--with-mysql=shared,/usr'
This is the redhat 8.0 default. I guess it just can't find the function library.

Any pointers any one could give would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeremy Wood