Re: Get Last ID Inserted

Hello Adam

On 21 November 2002 at 11:12:46 -0500 (which was 16:12 where I live) Adam
Voigt rearranged electrons to get

> But if there are heavy operations on the site, will this not also pick
> up a different last inserted id, if in the split milisecond between the
> insert and the next mssql_query which has the @@identity say, another
> user does an insert?

No. It picks up the last identity on that connection. So it does not mater
how many other connections and what they are doing.

It can only be wrong if you close off the connection and open another one.
The other way is to put it all into one SQL statement (as long as you don't
use mssql_????? functions in PHP)

e.g. (one I used earlier)

==========8<=============================================================
begin transaction

set nocount on

declare
  @NewId int

update item
set name = 'Canada Delivery'
where itemid = '428'

insert into item
(ItemTypeId, Name, LastUpdated)
values
(49,'Mexico Delivery',getutcdate())

set @NewId = @@identity

insert into DelArea
(itemid,StdEUR, StdGBP, StdUSD, HotEUR, HotGBP, HotUSD)
values
(@NewId,37,19,45,134,70,70)

Update country
set DelId = @NewId
where itemid = 288

commit

select
  @NewId NewDelId

- --
  David                   |    David  Elliott    |   Software Engineer    |
 _________________________| david@elliott.uk.com | PGP Key ID 0x650F4534  |
| Do you think someone was BORGED when they made these up?                |