using php4 to connect to mysql (newbie question)

hi,
I'm new to php and mysql and are trying to find some tutorials that i can
work through so i can get my head round connecting php4 to mysql.

I have been looking in all the usual places but keep finding php3 examples
and also examples using globals on..

The one i have been looking at is http://www.devarticles.com/art/1/23
All fine until it starts using globals...

My dev server is running php4.2.3 with globals off, mysql 3.23.52 on freebsd
4.7 stable.

Can anyone recommend any good tutorials for my query?

thanks
mikek
--
Mike Karthauser