From: Peter Beckman [mailto:beckman@purplecow.com]
Sent: November 15, 2002 12:35 PM
To: Aaron Wolski
Cc: 'Jason Vincent'; php-db@lists.php.net
Subject: RE:  Email Encryption?

Why not encrypt the password in the DB?  If they lose their password, it
cannot be sent to them.  They chose it, so it doesn't need to be sent to
them in their email.  If they lose it, it is changed, and they have to
change it again.  That way, only if they are stupid do they have an
extra
step.

The passwords in the DB are encrypted, so only if someone gets a hold of
the DB can the passwords be cracked by brute force.

md5 would work fine for this.  It is the same security that FreeBSD uses
in
their password file.

Peter

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Aaron Wolski wrote:

> Well.
>
> Its not what they want.. it what one of their clients want (very big
> corporation with very unrealistic security standards - you'd think
they
> were NASA or something *grumble*)
>
> Their thought is that someone could hack the received email, login to
> the store using the publically displayed logins details and reek havoc
> on the store, etc.
>
> *shrugs* Sadly this isn't open for debate as a solutions IS required.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Aaron

---
Peter Beckman            Systems Engineer, Fairfax Cable Access
Corporation
beckman@purplecow.com
http://www.purplecow.com/