RE: Email Encryption?

Aaron,

I don't know much about encryption other than just using PGP myself.
However, I would think that encrypting an e-mail message and sending it to a
user would require the user to have a key to decrypt it as well as some
client side software to actually perform the decryption. Seems like an
unreliable requirement.

Are they dead set on encrypting the e-mail? If you can convince them
otherwise, here's a solution I've been put through on a couple sites out
there:

1. I sign up for an account by providing my e-mail address and a username.
2. I receive an e-mail from the site saying "You signed up, this message
confirms your e-mail address is valid and here's a temp password. Go change
it." But this message does not contain the username I've entered on the
site.
3. I go back to the site, enter my username and temp password and change it
to something meaningful to me.
4. I get access to what I'm supposed to have access to.
5. I receive a confirmation e-mail just saying that the password for my
account on this site has been changed. But, neither the username NOR
password is not included in the e-mail.

The "security" here is that the username is NEVER sent to the user. If
e-mails were intercepted, the hacker would have the password, but not the
username. As long as both are required for authentication, you should be
set. You could reverse this logic by sending the username and never the
password with similar results.

Might not necessarily be the BEST solution, but I've seen it used in various
places.