Re: can i create an Access table or mdb with PHP?

Building on John idea with a few of my own (from a real word system I've
developed...)

Creating a blank MDB from scratch is particularly painful - so, like John
said - start with a ready made template.

Next make a copy with a unique name (there are loads of ways of doing this,
timestamps, uniqid()...) and populate the copy.

Send the copy to your user

You will end up with copies littering your site, so at the start of the
population phase, run some 'tidy up code' which deletes any old databases
(older than a day say).

Hope this helps.

--
Richard Allsebrook
Applications and Web Development

"Anthony" <atampone@attechcomputer.com> wrote in message
3DD2A538.8090502@attechcomputer.com">news:3DD2A538.8090502@attechcomputer.com...
> You could use ODBC to do it.  Create a template access DB, poulate it
> with ODBC, then read the file and send it to the user.  After it's
> downloaded clear the table.  the downside to this is that you would only
> be able to haev one user ata time get an access database.  I'm sure
> there are better ideas, but this would work.
>
> - Anthony
>
> John A Davis wrote:
> > I'm trying to supply our Contract Counties with mailing labels, already
formatted. They log on to our website and PHP will hit our SQL Server and
return a list of Public Water Systems for the County chosen. I would like a
link on this page that says something like "Send me an Access .mdb with
mailing labels for these systems". PHP would delete whatever is in stock
Access .mdb table somewhere on our system and replace the rows with newer,
current ones, specific to the County chosen(same query that displays the
systems in HTML). The Access .mdb that gets downloaded will have a "report"
formatted for Avery 5160 labels, bound to the newer table that was filled.
All they have to do is adjust their printer settings.

> > Does anyone have an easier way of supplying data formatted for mailing
labels? If they do, I'm all ears(eyes). Since this is a "bonus" service, we
don't want to have to have people involved providing this stuff to our
counties.

> > tia
> > John Davis
> > IIS State of Oregon
> > Drinking Water Program

> > On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, John A DAVIS wrote:
> >

> >>Want to give the user the ability to download a dynamic Access.mdb file
> >>that has a table and linked report formatted for Avery 5160 labels. Know
> >>how to create all this stuff in VBA code, but not using PHP.
> >

> >  It is better to give too much information than not enough.
> >
> >  You are trying to generate a dynamic Access.mdb file on the fly, using
> >  PHP?  Or you are trying to deliver this already existing file that
changes
> >  sometimes with PHP?  Or you are trying to do something else?
> >
> >  If the first option, where is your data coming from?
> >
> >  If the second, why are you trying to use PHP instead of just linking to
> >  the Access.mdb file via the web server?
> >
> > Peter

-
> > Peter Beckman            Systems Engineer, Fairfax Cable Access
Corporation
http://www.purplecow.com/