Re: problem with postgres

Well, I don't know specifics of postgresql, but I'll give it a whirl.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-last-error.php

This function should give you the error about WHY it was unable to connect.
If not, check stuff like permissions, making sure pgsql.so (or whatever it
is named) is actually compiled in (use phpinfo() to determine, and looks
like you already confirmed that), make sure you are connecting to is
resolving in DNS if not localhost, and the user can connect to the DB set.

$dbconn3 = pg_connect ("host=sheep port=5432 dbname=mary user=lamb password=foo");

Also from the PHP manual site:

    A lot of the questions that appear here can be answered by looking at the
    PostgreSQL programming documentation (www.postgresql.org).  PHP's
    PostgreSQL interface appears to be heavily based on the libpq programming
    interface.

    If you use PostgreSQL users for authenticating into your pg database
    rather than using your own authentication, always specify host
    directive in pg_connect and edit pg_hba.conf to authenticate from this
    host accordingly. Otherwise, PHP will connect as 'local' using UNIX
    domain sockets, which is set in pg_hba.conf to 'trust' by default (so
    you can connect using psql on console without specifying password) and
    everyone can connect to db _without password_ .

Peter