indexing on existing DB

(I know this is more of a mySQL question than PHP, but allow me this one if
you would...)

In MySQL, is there any difference between creating an index at table
creation time, and creating an index on an existing table?  Does an index
created on an existing table re-index itself after each insert/update, or
does it only index itself once - when you create the index?

Thanks in advance

Regards,