Re: sort by date

Ok, going out on a limb here... have you tried something like

select e.id, title, location, address, contact, category, event_time,
urllink, descript, min(event_date) from eventTable e inner join
dateTable d on e.id = d.id group by e.id

?

Marco

--
------------
php|architect - The magazine for PHP Professionals

Come visit us at http://www.phparch.com!

--- Begin Message ---
I have two tables, one contains event information and the other dates
that the event takes place:

| id            | int(11)      |      | PRI | 0       | auto_increment |
| title         | varchar(100) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| location      | varchar(100) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| address       | varchar(100) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| contact       | varchar(100) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| category      | varchar(100) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| event_time    | varchar(200) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| urllink       | varchar(100) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| descript      | text         | YES  |     | NULL    |                |

| id         | int(11) |      | PRI | 0       | auto_increment |
| event_key  | int(11) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| event_date | date    | YES  |     | NULL    |                |

They are linked via dateTable.event_key=eventTable.id

I want to be able to sort by the first date that the event takes place.
I tried:
$sql="select e.*,d.event_date from eventTable e,dateTable d where
e.id=d.event_key order by d.event_date,d.event_key

but it still shows each date that the event takes place. I tried doing
a min(d.event_date) as event_date and then "group by" instead of "order
by" but still get too many results.

Any help to straighten this out?

Terry