From: Leif K-Brooks [mailto:eurleif@buyer-brokerage.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 9:28 PM
To: holmes072000@charter.net
Cc: php-db@lists.php.net
Subject: Re:  Abstraction layer or not?

True, but a DB wrapper can do the error reporting as well.

John W. Holmes wrote:

I'm working on a new site, and I'm wondering whether to use an
abstraction layer or not.  I don't have any plans to switch DB system,
but you never know what the future holds.  I figure that there's no
reason not to, but are there any down sides?  Which abstraction layers
are good?

ADOdb is a good one. PEAR also has an abstraction class. Once you get
used to using them, they make things easier over all. I've never
actually switched databases with them, so I don't know how much easier
it makes that. I find them ideal for error catching and reporting.

---John Holmes...

--
The above message is encrypted with double rot13 encoding.  Any
unauthorized attempt to decrypt it will be prosecuted to the full extent