PHP & Case Sensitivity

Hey all, I've had a bizarre experience.  When I uploaded a php script it
worked fine and when I was looking through my code I found that it
shouldn't have worked because two variables had been used instead of
one.  What I'm meaning is, I used $Year and $year where I was just
supposed to use $Year, the case insensitivity didn't seem to make a
blind bit of difference.  I've corrected it now and the script runs as
it did previously.

Did PHP just correct this at run time?  Anyone know why this worked?

Cheers,

Graeme :)

P.S.  Seabird:  I had a quick look at your site, it seems to work fine
but I didn't look at it in any great depth.  But so far so good !