LIKE statement

Hi,
I've got a dilly of a problem. I'm probably doing something wrong but I
don't know what. I'm trying to use the LIKE statement in a query where
more than one word is used in with LIKE..e.g.

select count(distinct itemid) from business where name or description
like 'word1 word2 word3%'

The problem I'm having is probably obvious to you but I don't know why
this returns no matches but if i specify only 1 word in the LIKE
statement then it returns a match.

Am i not able to specify more than 1 word with LIKE or am I just doing
it wrong?

It has been designed to take input from a web form by the variable
$search_string and then the query string is constructed from that e.g.

$query = "select count(distinct itemid) from business where name or
description like'" . $search_string . "'";

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.