RE: The Ethics and Access of Login

Well, what I would suggest is you log them in once, then set a session
variable such that $_SESSION["login"] = true;

Then at the top of each page, just check if they're logged in or not.
  if( !$login ) { Header("Location: ".$LOGINPAGE."\n\n"); exit; }

No hit to the db for every page.
If you're in the good habbit of using a "require()" file at the header,
you can put that in there, so all those pages are protected instantly
and it makes it easy to tweak.

However, if security is really a concern, I would choose to let Apache
deal with that. Plus the nice thing is that with the .htaccess (or
better yet, the httpd.conf <Directory>) you are guaranteed that all
subdirectories and files are protected too. Another little detail is
that a user can bookmark a page, and get back to it easily. My method
above would require you "remembering" the page they
requested->login->jump back to the page. I dunno. I have nothing to base
this on, but I feel 'safer' with private areas being protected by the
server rather than any code I could come up with. :)

DÆVID.

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend
will be sitting next to you in the holding cell, laughing and saying
-'That was fucking awesome!'"