Re: PHP and MS-SQL

Hello,

OpenLink provides single-tier ODBC Drivers for MS SQL Server from Mac
OS X - these support the additional data types and will work against
either Sybase ASE or MS SQL Server, on any platforms they run on.
30-day downloads are available from our site at
http://www.openlinksw.com

Best regards,
Andrew Hill
Director of Technology Evangelism - OpenLink Software
Universal Data Access and the Virtuoso Universal Server
http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/whatis.htm

On Sunday, October 27, 2002, at 12:22 AM, Frank M. Kromann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is true that FreeTDS works with MS SQL Server, but I think you need
> a bit more info:
>
> Sybase and MS SQL Server used to be the same product back when 4.x was
> released. Then Microsoft released 6.0 including a set of C libraries
> and everything was fine. Microsoft has not released new versions of
> the C libraries but they have added a lot of new features to the
> server with version 6.5, 7.0 and 2000. These features are not
> available from the C libraries so no matter if you are using the
> native MSSQL extension for Win32 or you use the Sybase extension with
> FreeTDS you are limited to the features available in version 6.0 of MS
> SQL Server.
>
> These limitations include char and varchar columns with maximum 255
> bytes. No support for nchar, nvarchar or ntext and other types as
> well. If you can design your tables without using the new features you
> should be able to make it work.
>
> One of the big differences in the SQL is support for views and
> subselects in MS SQL Server but stuff like LIMIT is not supported
> (though you can do a select top * ...).
>
> - Frank
>
>> Thanks John!
>> Say, are there any arguments not to use MS-SQL?
>> Did you run into any problems?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Axel

>>> Axel