Re: [PHP] PHP and databases? ...without MySQL and such

"Negretti, John (CCI-San Diego)" <John.Negretti@cox.com> wrote... :

> Does anyone have any suggestions, or is PHP mostly just for MySQL
> and such.

PHP supports most of the databases existing on the earth. This should
mean to you that, if your client wants a DB-driven website, you simply
set a mySQL or PostgreSQL or anything else you wish, depending on the
project size, for them and voila!

> I am developing some PHP classes/functions that are utilizing
> "file()" and "array()" to read and edit my flat files.

Flat files are not suggested as they are VERY, VERY limited (with any
language). Use mySQL or PostgreSQL, those are Open Sources and are free
for use. No much development is required for using them. Quite simple.

So, my final suggestion to you is to actually stick to a database, not
Flat Files for ANYTHING you do in feature. And, PHP, of course.

> NOTE: I think PHP is a great language and I do hope to stick with it.
> There are many great resources like www.phpbuilder.com,
> www.phpbeginner.com and the extensive documentation at www.php.net.

Thanks for liking PHP Beginner :) I made it!

> Thanks to all that help us new PHP developers.

Any time :)

---
Maxim Maletsky
maxim@php.net

www.PHPBeginner.com  // PHP for Beginners
www.maxim.cx         // my Home

// my Wish List:     ( Get me something! )
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/registry/2IXE7SMI5EDI3