I was wondering if anyone has some resources (links or scripts) on 'advanced site searches'. Something that is similar to the way regular search engines process requests.

ie.   "phrase or two" word +required -"not included"

Also, returning details of that search, say for example returning 10 words before and 10 words after and displaying it in search results. The ability to search similar words (eg. ignoring punctuation) would be cool aswell.

I am interested in this for database (all text fields), and also searching text files on filesystem.

Now, I'm not trying to recreate Google or anything, and this is just for my own research (at this time), but I eventually would like to be able to create a smarter site searching engine.

Can anyone give suggestions? or any links to tutorials (or books)

I have used regex a little bit before, but not in PHP (only ASP and JavaScript).

Adam