Re: Object Library

Problem I have with open source - and then maybe I don't understand open source - is that I am not a colledge kid or something. I am an independent programmer. I get paid for a job I find and complete. So I don't know if I could go open source - Investing months or whatever and then no $$ - who is going to pay my mortgage. I probably wind up doing it because it seems I need to for the jobs that are coming down the line. But then I should get some reward for it too (or anyone who colaborates). Right now I am laying out and testing the principle behind the ideal system to see if its possible.

See I have been dooing business apps for a long time - mostly in Visual Foxpro. VFP is dying and not only becaus M$ is stopping support. So I have customers and potential customers and they now want to do their business computing from wherever they are. Driver get a table device with an internet connection and enter their data, customers should order online and see their balances, status of the order, girls in the office take orders, enter data. The boss wants to access everything even if he is vacationing in the Bahamas. And then we got multiple locations.. It should also run on any platform and cost as little as possible.

That is why I am going the Apache/PHP/MYSQL way. I converted most my VFP stuff to run MYSQL and blogged about herehttp://pirringers.com/mysqlblog/

at a request from MYSQL as they wanted the VFP conversion available to everyone. Now I want to move it all to PHP plus all the "new stuff". And I don't want the patchwork I got now. I got VFP as a front end for MYSQL with some PHP pages for the "new stuff", I got some old foxpro installatione with PHP accessing the tables via ODBC and publishing that stuff. etc etc. I even got some .NET stuff out there (personally for every problem I had in PHP/MYSQL or ODBC I had 20 with .NET that and the big detail that it will run on any platform was the reason I am going with PHP).

Was hoping to find some existing stuff.

Right now I am seeing how far I can push $_SESSION to maintain my objects and doing Java on the fly. In particular working a way to do a Form refresh for all "Databound" Controls. IOW an AJAX way where a button click will update multiple controls without having to write each snippet individually and trying to do it in one round trip. Basically to establis a protocol in which php will send the control ids and then the innerhtml and js then runs through that string and does the update of all the ids. something like

Msgheader<delimiter>field<fielddelimiter>innerhtml<rowdelimiter>...<endofmessage>

Another challenge is the recordsets. Says you cant store resources in the $_session and it would not make sense so we are either going to have to store it in an array or make multiple SQL calls. So there performance/memory usage etc becomes an issue.

if anyone got any ideas - they are welcome

Martin