From: shadow <shadow3dcaster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  Modern Javascript
To: php-objects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

      Hi all.

I've been doing PHP since 2002 but took a break from 2005 - 2008. Since then lots of developments occurred in the PHP world with PHP5, Frameworks and CMSs flourishing. Along with that, but in the javascript world was Ajax and JS Frameworks - I checked it out at the time circa 2004/5. But since then I've always wondered how we got to this stage with Javascript.

I'm up to speed with PHP developments but not with javascript. The Javascript I used to write back in the day was crap. Now I read descriptions that make it seem like an art - I've definitely missed something along the way.

Recently I wrote a Google maps app using my old style of javascript and a bit of jquery but it's a mangled mess of functions, global variables and if statements. Clearly, it shouldn't be this way.

What have I missed and what should I be reading to bring me back up to date? And, by the way, it'd be good if it worked with IE6 which they still use at work! Thanks.

Shadow