Session value Retain problem

      My new form has 2 columns. The larger left side contains the values what i store on session.This transfers page's using $_GET and URL's.

      My right column will contain <a href=blog.php?view=Sports> . I want this to use sessions to work out what page to display. This way things can come and go on the right column without disrupting the blog side of things.

         The problem I am having is actually setting the session variable which this will run off. For example if I want to view someone's category, it would typically be done in a link i.e. blog.php?view=Sports. This would disrupt the blog as you would go back to the index page.the session values are destroyed.