Session timeout

Hi,
My site abruptly at times closses session, ie the user logs out automatically even if he is refreshng and browsing the site,

I do not know the reason why? as the time at times is less than 1 min and at times the time to logout is a hour, i know something is misconfigured but i do not know what?

Also I need to have a checkbox like 'Remember me' ie keep the user logged in, i know something to do with cookies, but again manage session with cookies , how?

Pl. help.

--
Regards,
Abhishek jain