Question on proper proceedure - passing objects to a constructor method

I have a request date object I use to log errors, activity, and produce date information for my webpages.  I need to pass the date object and/or access to methods of the date object to my error logging class.  Due to scoping issues, I can do one of the following within my constructor method:

1) make the request date object global (which defeats the versatility of the code).
2) pass the request date object as an argument of the constructor for the error logging object, without making it an attribute of the error logging object,
or...
3) pass the request date object to the constructor and then make them attributes of the error logging object, as in:

class error_logger{
protected $error_message;
protected $request_date;

function __construct($error_message, $request_date) {
$this->error_message = $error_message;
$this->request_date = $request_date;
/* Remainder of constructor function here. */
}
}

Which is the proper way to do this, according to OOP theory?  Would there be a better way of doing this?  It seems that the first two work pretty well, I haven't tried the third method yet.  The problem is that either way the code is dependent on the pre-existance of the request date object, which limits the usage of my error logger object.

Suggestions?

Sincerely,

Gentlemike2