RE: how to know firefox, ie6, ie7, netscape?

Warper is correct. HOWEVER:

1. WHY would you be doing things that are only IE specific?

2. Detection methods are unreliable. Firefox even has a user agent switcher
plugin.

3. IE8 may ruin your life when it comes out

4. I?ve seen sites restrict to IE, mainly for controls and such that ASP
offers, but turning people away on an IE-only basis with PHP is new to me.

All that aside, I?ll ask again: WHY are you doing things that are IE-only?

--

Joe