Remote connectin check

Hi,

I have one centralized server and 3 local servers connected.
I am uploading  files from central server to local servers at a time by using ftp connectivity through php  and updating the database in all servers.
My problem is during the time of upload if one of the server connectivity is failed then it will take more time to execute the page.
Is there any possibility to check whether the IP is existing in the network or not?
Or any other approach to solve this issue.

Thanks,
Gangadhar

      Connect with friends all over the world. Get Yahoo! India Messenger at http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/?wm=n/