Read .doc files

Hi there, I am trying to open and read a word document. I can open and read the document but the formatting has gone crazy.

My aim is for an admistrator to upload a word document for viewers to read in a browser.

Do I need to specify that it is a word document somewhere here

<?php
$filename = "chairmansreport.doc";
$file = fopen($filename,"r");
$filesize = filesize ($filename);