Re: Problem while connecting to the mysql server remotely

Hi,

It's good form to connect with the public IP if you are connecting
remotly to a mysql server. If this is on a network you have configured
and the web server is on the same lan as the db server - use the private
ip as this will be faster and run over your lan.

If you are trying to connect to a database server on a hosting package
check the documentation for your hosting package. Several things can
effect connectivity.

1. Hostname of choice, private ip connection may not be allowed you
might have to connect to mysqlserver203.myhostingcompany.com
2. Connection may be limited to servers on the hosting package, so if
you are trying to connect from a WAMP of LAMP setup locally this may not
work as the user connection is address restricted.
3. Check the users permissions you are trying to connect with are they
100% correct.

Try using a mysql_error() to also see what error mysql is returning, you
will be able to understand alot more from reading these.
Also bare in mind if you are getting mysql_connect not found this
actually means the mysql module has not been compiled with php and you
will need to re-build the source using the option in configure. Check
./configure --help for the mysql option

Tom