Re: using string functions

--- In php-objects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Atkinson, Robert" <ratkinson@...> wrote:

> You're unlikely to get accurate results using that sort of method (I don't
> even think looking at a Class 'C' address is correct anyway).
>
> You are much better buying a cheap service to do the translation for you,
> like this :-
>
> http://www.ip2location.com/php.aspx
>
> Rob.

Interesting... but not totally accurate.  I'm in Daly City, CA a suburb of San Francisco, yet
their lookup function returned Los Angeles.

Just something to keep in mind.  Service providers probably won't return very specific
actual information about IP addresses.  Probably just the location of the DHCP server which
'leased' out the IP address.  Of course it's a static address then you might get something
more specific.

Additionally, if the client is behind a router that does NATing (Network Address
Translation) say in a branch office or something then you're only going to get the address
/ location for that router with the caveat specified earlier as well - in that you might just
end up with the location of the DHCP server.

Larr.