From: Larry Helms <larr_helms@xxxxxxxxx>
To: php-objects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, 11 July, 2008 2:45:15 AM
Subject:  Re: Getting empty  .sql file when we run backup code please see the code

First, let me say... that I'm using MAMP on a Mac... so the location of mysqldump is most
likely different than what you're using... but when I reduced your code down to just
executable lines... and only those necessary to DO the backup I came up with the
following below (with a few enhancements) .

On the mysqldump command I should note... that you had THREE '-', rather than two.
e.g. you had:  ---user  where you should have had --user  You also were NOT sending
the file anywhere.  You need to add '> '.$backupFile;

Also, use the 'echo $command' line... to output your command... and then cut-n-paste it
to the command line to insure that it functions properly.

<?php

$dbname = 'dbname' ;
$dbuser = 'user';
$dbpass = 'password';
$dbhost = 'localhost'; ;

$datetime = date ('Ymd_His');
$backupFile = '/tmp/'.$datetime. '-'.$dbname. '.sql';
$mysqldump = '/Applications/ MAMP/Library/ bin/mysqldump' ;

$command = $mysqldump." --user ".$dbuser." --password=" .$dbpass. " ".$dbname." >
".$backupFile;

echo "command = ".$command." \n";

exec ($command, $retval);
var_dump ($reval);