Cron Job Question

Hi all, I have to make a send engine with a mailing list around of 5 000
emails, I'm using Cron Jobs to make the send each week.

As you know default time is 30 seconds timeout loading a page, but if my
engine takes more time to make the sending, the timeout will cancel the
process, leaving it to half.

My question is this: The Cron Job takes this default time of 30 sec to load,
or take all the necessary time?

What function can I use to extend the time loading the page to send all
mail?

Regards!