I fail to send email from php scripts on my local pc

Hello,
I am trying to send email from a php script on my local pc, i am still
developing the site on my local computer, and not still testing online
The php.ini has the followinf settings:

--------------------------
[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = localhost
I also have added this line in my php script:
ini_set ("sendmail_from",localhost);

While trying to send a mail I get the following error:

Warning: mail() [function.mail <http://localhost/charbel/function.mail>
]: Failed to  connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your
"SMTP" and "smtp_port"  setting in php.ini or use ini_set()

Any Help appreciated
Regards
Many Thanks