Two Questions

I have two questions, I am hoping the group can answer, 1)How can I
get a file to automatically download, I am opening a blank window
using a javascript, a function is preformed and I want the file to
download once the function returns a true statement... that part is
working, but I can't get the file to start a download. 2)I need to be
able read the URL of the page a script is being sent from.

Thanks to all that reply in advance for helping the on and off newbie.

Weeks