question about using forums

hi

i am using a forum website and i have downloaded the files which are
available from smf forum. my question is whenever i try to create a
category from the admin panel i am not able to change the styles in
the css file even though i make changes to the css file, would you
know hoe to access the php file or mysql database as the forum is
totally built using php and mysql. may be i need to find the php file
or edit the database which i am not sure at this stage.

if you are aware of this please let me know.

thanks.