Re: most occured word - but without search

Hi,

There is no need to getback the huge dataset to php just for counting. You
can do it at database itself level itself, using wild cards and count
function.

select count(*) from table_name where person_name like 'John%'  -- you can
use %John% too

so your php script will be

$sql="select count(*) as Count from table_name where person_name like
'{$_POST['search_field']}%'";
$db->query($sql);
$count=$db->rows[0]['Count'];

Bye,
Manda Krishna Srikanth
http://www.krishnasrikanth.com

php-objects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 09/18/2007 03:10:25 PM:

> Sorry I just read your question a bit closer, I am not sure if you can
> count the number of occurences using mysql, but you can certainly find
> out where they are.
>
> I guess you could try reading each word and creating a count manually
> with php, but that could get slow for a massive number of rows.
>
> Imran wrote:
> >

> > Dear Friends,
> >
> > Is there any MySQL query that could find the most occured word in a
column
> > of a table, without searching it?
> >
> > e.g.,
> >
> > *Column Name*
> > - - - - - - - - - - -
> > John
> > James Bond
> > John
> > Alix
> > Philips
> > John
> >
> > So, without search, we want to see that John has occured 3 times.
> >
> > Sql Query is appreciated.... if possible?
> >
> > Thanks v.much,
> > Imran

and any attachments. Thank you