How to check the Site is UP or DOWN

Hi Friends,

I want to write a script that checks a particular site is UP or not
if not it will display an error message to notifiy the site is down.

Any Idea to do dis using PHP?
(i think we can go by sending request to the Port, but it will not be possible if the data resides in some Dynamically assigned IP system)
Please Help

Anees Muhammed