PHP chat code help needed

I want to create a simple chat multilingual chat application using
google translation services. I have tested a script I wrote to work
with google transalation. I created a chat application in Java which
was not tough.

My plan to create the php chat application is

1. Design a simple client interface that will translate and save the
message in a mysql table chatlog with user id and message
2. each client will poll the mysql table to refresh its screen with
message for that user id.

Could someone tell me how to code this functionality specially the
refreshing of the client side or using ajax how it is done???
any ideas.
One amazing piece of programming is the universal online instant
messenger www.meebo.com (AJAX)