Cookies at proxy level

Hello Friends,

I am working on a project which requires me to store cookies or
sessions at proxy level(i.e squid).

In detail I am using squid redirector script.This redirector script is
in PHP.Now I need to check whether the cookie is set or not & on that
basis I am taking some decisions.But I don't know if cookie or session
can be used at proxy level or not as these are server variables.

I would really be thankful to you guys if anyone can suggest something.

Thanks
Jaldip Upadhyay