RE: transfer session across domain

Possibility 1

I don't know that you can, short of setting the session ID to the same value
and then checking it against a text file on the originating site, which
seems an awfully dangerous thing to do. Also, I think there would be a
problem ensuring that the original session doesn't expire, so you'd have to
have some sort of keep-alive thing going, which could get messy.

Why not just encrypt and persist the log-in data to start a new session on
the second domain?
You could have the authentication operate in the background easily enough.

Something like:

If(referring domain is on an affiliate list) {
	if( handshakeFunction() ) {	pass encrypted authentication and
persist the sessionID }
	else { something's wrong, punt }
}
Else {
	run normal log-in routine
}

Possibility 2

I tried to do this using simulated domains , but it's really messy. The idea
was to hold all the essential log-in information and relevant session in the
root of one domain, which had two ore more domains resolve to one location.
Sort of like,

MAINDOMAIN/auth/
MAINDOMAIN.com/index.php

	SUBDOMAIN (aliased)/index.php
	SUBDOMAIN (aliased)/index.php

But the problem was more trouble than it was worth for what I was doing. I
think your better option is not to try to persist the session itself, but to
persist the data within the session.

Possibility 3

You can try to combine the domains into a common log in table held somewhere
neutral and then simply check to see whether the log in on one site was
completed and give it a time-out function rather than using the session to
determine access. If so, then allow access to any of the domains, if not,
then require log in. This seems to be the Password concept, but I'm not
sure.

Is it really worth it?