Re: Wamp(Apache) server access via IP

--- In php-objects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, *^*JUNAID*^* <junaidfcs@...> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed WAMP in my windows XP professional. WAMP is running
fine on my localhost computer.So in general I am running apache with
php. So whenever I connect to internet I want some one else on
internet can accesss my webserver via IP of my computer assigned by
ISP. E.g if ISP gives me the IP 222.52.25.35 so any one (definitly to
whome I tell my IP) can access the sites at my wamp server via
http://222.52.25.35/mysite/

> After connecting to internet I tried this URL from my own computer
and it gives same results as for http://localhost/mysite/ but one of
my friends also using internet at his home when run the above url then
he reported some time the blank white page or some time this error
(113) No route to host.

> I guess I need some setting in the config files of apache or
php.ini. But in which file and wht?
> Please help me...
>
> I hope every one understood what I want but if some ambuigty feel
free to ask

> Thanks
> Junaid

I am using the same configuration.

As an aside, you might like to register with the free "dyndns.org" or
"no-ip.com".  This will allow users to access your machine by
hostname, rather than the unwieldly IP-address.

There are many possible causes for remote users not getting access to
your machine.  Here are few of the more common problems (off the top
of my head)...

1) httpd.conf
Ensure you have the following parameter:  "Listen 80".
Some servers (mine included) require a different setup, e.g I use:
"Listen 192.168.1.30:80".  However, the default httpd.conf simply uses
"Listen 80", so I would guess you haven't changed it.

2) Firewall is preventing incoming connections.
If Windows Firewall is enabled, then:

    * Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions > Add Port...
    * Name = HTTP Server, Port number = 80, TCP

If you are using HTTPS, then also add an entry for TCP port 443.
If you have other firewalls, then the procedure is similar.

3) Network Router Firewall

Every network router is different, so I can't be specific.  Basically,
you need to configure your router with a rule that will forward
incoming connections to TCP port 80 (and possibly port 443) onto your
machine's private IP address.

Be careful!  Opening your router to port 80 and 443 will mean everyone
on the net has access to your machine.  I am constantly amazed by the
number of unsolicited hits my server sees.

To mitigate any problems with unwelcome visitors, I strongly suggest
you setup the Apache Server with user authentication.  Then you just
need to give a username and password to your friend.  All other
unauthorized attempts to access your machine will be blocked.  (See
docs on auth_module)

4) VPN is Active

Some VPN software does not permit LAN access when it is active.  If
you are using a VPN, then you may need to disable it.  You may also be
able to define a static route to force responses to your friend's
machine use your router as the default gateway, rather than the one
setup by the VPN.

5) If it is not a firewall problem

Have your friend use "tracert" to see where the inbound HTTP
connection is blocked. eg. assuming your friend is on Windows, have
him bring up a command window and type:

    * tracert 222.52.25.35

6) Security Settings

I doubt this will be the problem, unless you have played with security
settings.

Good luck!

PHP Data object relational mapping generator
http://www.metastorage.net/
Yahoo! Groups Links