Going open source

So I have this nifty application development framework that I've
designed and refined and built applications with over the last ten
years.  Recently I've been able to take some big leaps forward that make
it a breeze to build with - as long as you're me and know (mostly) all
of its nuances.  It deals with the basic CRUD, login, table and field
level security, field data validation, searching, listing, sorting,
basic navigation, parent-child table relationships, as well as table
maintenance and form design all through a web interface without doing
any php programming.  In places where the job is too complex for the
generic logic to handle it, there is a simple method for creating custom
php classes and the framework will check for and these extensions on the
fly.

I think it's cooler than Rails and the other frameworks I've checked
out.  What they do and what I used to do is to build basic CRUD based on
your table design and then you tweak the generated pages to fit together
and look the way you like.  In my model you define your objects through
a web interface and the application creates the tables and fields as
well as stores metadata on how to access and display the object.  You
can also define different list views on each object.

The problem is that it's been cobbled together over many years and I'm
the only person who could reasonably create a real application with it.
Parts of the code are left over from my pre-object-orientation days and
there is code in places that is left over from previous applications and
no longer relevant.  I'd like to make this an open source project and
work with other people to turn this into a framework that other people
could actually work and develop with.

My question is How?  I don't know any PHP developers personally.  I
don't have a lot of time to dedicate to running a real Project, but my
daily work is constantly improving the framework.

The other question is on profitability.  Do I look for a profit angle or
simply be happy that I can continue to develop my own custom commercial
applications with this framework while other people help to improve it
and use it for their own custom commercial applications as well?  While
I believe in Open Source, I can't help but feel I am giving something up
by giving this away.  Can anyone help reconcile my feelings on this?

Thanks

-jmb

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/saFolB/TM