Looking for smthing opposite to ajax

Hi,

I am thinking of a server based(triggered) communication.
Such that if any change in data the server sends the info to the client
and the change is reflected in the client side application.

Only that part of client side changes where the change has to be
updated.(Not the whole client page).

I know all this sounds very ideal and there must be lot of people
already working on smthing similar.
I am looking for resources/implementations of the same using php. Even
articles that discuss such an architecture wud b great!

Thanks,
Richa

PHP Data object relational mapping generator
http://www.metastorage.net/
Yahoo! Groups Links