Re: php and mini-ecommerce

Paypal has a number of options but I mainly use IPN, where paypal
sends a data burst to my script (identified in the paypal site
configs by the merchant.) Paypal sends various notifications of the
transaction as appropriate and I configure my end to collect all that
data and respond accordingly. An echeck, for example, is logged as a
future payment, subsequently either completed or cancelled or bounced
or whatever. My scripts send the buyer a notice that their payment is
pending, reversed, or completed and instructions accordingly. OTOH,
payment from paypal funds or a credit card process instantly and they
get a download link, serial number, lottery ticket, whatever, on the
spot. PP IPN also solves the old issues of the buyer needing to click
the completed link at paypal to return (themself and the data) to the
merchant site.

If you want a quick-and-dirty, super simple solution paypal has a
variety of them too I thing, the paypal shopping cart and
subscription systems being a couple. I'm not sure how well integrated
they may be, though, with international implementations. My merchants
all live near me (in the USA) and while they do some selling
overseas, they have their own bank accounts here. My Australian
partner has her US partner do their banking.

-m

On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:12 AM, Andres Santos wrote:

> How does paypal work in case you are selling a digital item, for
> example, an
> ebook?
>
> Do i have manually send the purchaser the pdf? or paypal redirects
> the user
> to a secure page where he can download the pdf himself?

PHP Data object relational mapping generator
http://www.metastorage.net/
Yahoo! Groups Links