Security Breach?

we have worked in a (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP and
Java)  project for several months. The project now is
done and is in full usage (the program is distributed
under the GPL License). But my client is worrying of
the security of the system,
(1) how can i test the security of the system?
(2) is it true that by knowing the domain name is a
security breach?

Here is my client's email:
----------------
Hi All,

Kindly, go through the following issue and suggest:

Currently students and staff can access SIS (Students
Information System) from
anywhere via the Internet - Thanks to Zalongwa
Software. The database is hosted here
at the OUT and Zalongwa Software is the main interface
to access it. Critical
information like examination scores and financial
details are contained in the
database. For security reasons:

1. Exposing the server name (www.sis.out.ac.tz) is
already a security breach - it
attracts hackers to start accessing the server.
2. Data entry and modifications (deletions and
updates) are the most sensitive
operations and should be handled with care.

Comments:

1. We design another database (MySQL, call it newDB)
and host it in a different
server (not directly accessible to students and
hackers via the Internet). This
database will be used to store all the information and
sensitive reports like
certificates and transcripts will be generated from
this (newDB) database.
2. www.sis.out.ac.tz  will be used as a data warehouse
in which data will
(automatically) be uploaded from time-to-time from the
newDB.
3. Zalongwa software will be used for E-Learning,
Communication, and other
operations that will not directly alter any
information in the core database
(newDB). In other words:
(a) Lecturers will use Zalongwa to send assignments
and other materials to students
(currently, it perfoms this).
(b) Students will communicate with their lecturers and
other staff  as well as
registering to courses, and other operations via
Zalongwa.
(c) Students will view their progress reports via
Zalongwa but their final
certificates and other sensitive reports will be
generated from the newDB.
(d) Zalongwa will not be used to enter or alter
examination scores, fee payments,
and other sensitive data.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/saFolB/TM