Re: Client Time Zone.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Khalil, Fahad" <>
To: <php-objects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <uet-cs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:30 AM
Subject:  Client Time Zone.

> I wanna know can I read client's time zone via some HTTP request
headers?
> Coz I think server in reply sends its local time plus time zone in
response
> headers (before sending data).

I don't think so, when a client makes an http request the following
headers are generally sent:
Host, User-Agent, Accept, Accept-Language, Accept-Encoding,
Accept-Charset, Connection, Referer. Nothing about the time there. You
could get their IP address block and make a guess as to where they are,
but that's not going to be very accurate.

> Coz I think server in reply sends its local time plus time zone in
response
> headers (before sending data).

If it's Apache, you can get either directives:
DATE_GMT  The current date in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
DATE_LOCAL  The current date in the local time zone.

and manipulate those values through php if you wish. Whether or not you
can change this at the server depends on your server set-up, ask your
host and you may be able to telnet in to the ../../share/zoneinfo
directory to do that.

If you think you're having header problems, get Firefox browser and
install the LiveHTTPheaders extension, or even better, the "Tamper Data"
extension which allows you to see headers both ways and even modify them
before sent to test your scripts.

hope that helps!

cheers,

        Mark