Re: Multi Lingual Sites

listmail@shoan.net wrote:

> > If your script creates HTML code, you may also need to consider things
> > such as header elements
> > e.g.  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
> > charset=iso-8859-1"> and choose an appropriate "charset" for each
> language.
> > If you use languages such as Arabic or Hebrew, the direction of the text
> > needs to be right to left with all sorts of implications for the overall
> > layout of a page..
> > You might also need to take into account the capabilities of the
> browser.
> > If so take a look at PHPSniffer on SourceForge.
> >

> Thank you for your response. PHP Sniffer looks to be extremeyl useful in
> situation.
>
> What do you think about the entire translation process? I thinking of
> storing
> all the strings as variables in an include file and including it based
> on the
> visitor setting. Is there a better way to do this?
>
> Peace,
> Shoan.
>

> PHP Data object relational mapping generator -
> http://www.meta-language.net/
>

> *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
> click here
> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dvv89n/M=315388.5497957.6576270.3001176/D=groups/S=1705006764:HM/EXP=1097736129/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>

Shoan

To be quite honest, I haven't delved into this area to any depth in PHP.
I have tackled it some time ago in Delphi but only with European
languages. Hence my interest in the subject.
Back then I stored all of the text strings and layout details (as
absolute positions in a window) in a database along with a default
language for each user.
Whether that would be applicable to your application I don't know.
Your suggested solution might be more efficient in the PHP environment.
It probably depends a lot on the kind of performance you can get from
the database.
It is probably more important that you should go for the solution that
is easiest for you to maintain even if it requires a bit more "up front"
effort in terms of design and coding.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Andy Clark
As usual in these cases, "There Is Always More Than One Way To Do IT".

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/saFolB/TM