Conert MySQL date stamp

Hi there,

I have to work extremely with the dates in the database; MySQL.
The general format is : YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS, when we use DATE
datatype for mysql.

I want to have a number out of this string like database, so
that I can sort the database results based on the Hour, and
munites. If a good idea is not possible, should I use the PHP to
get the date, calculate the different values like year, date,
minutes and get the number?

=========
This program is specailly used with the issues like, logging
information, where I store the date("Y-m-d h-i-s") into the
database. I want to get the hour and minute values out there.
======

If there is a better way, please let me know.

Thanx

=====
Bimal Poudel
(Information Management)