RE: MySQL database Overloaded

[snip]

> Juma Lungo wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > I have designed a University Student Information System for the
> University of Dar es Salaam using MySQL and PHP. Everything was
> fine but in this month of the beggining of the semester, all
> students are accessing the website searching room allocation and
> exam results. As a results then database went down!
> >
> > What should i do to rectify the problem?
> >
> > Attached is a mail complaint from the Manager!
> >
> > Lungo
> >
> > --------------------------------------
> > Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 07:26:46 -0700 (PDT)
[snip]

> Try separating out various functions into separate databases and moving
> them to a server that can handle the load. In other words, you have
> three possible solutions which may require a combination of all of them:
>
> 1) optimize your SQL queries and make sure your version of MySQL is the
> best suited to the task
>
> 2) separate your database into functional chunks that can be moved to
> physically separate servers
>
> 3) co-locate, with the same database existing on multiple servers, with
> load bearing management (seems like the most complex and probably
> overkill for what you're experiencing).

[snip]
Greetings to all.

---
Find out what errors the user sees if its not getting connections try to
optimise MySQL - I'd go in this order...
1. May seem obvious but are you using persistent connections "pconnect"?
2. Definately do 1 above [by Tech @ LDS]
3. Increase the number of connections MySQL will accept to as many as
possible
4. take off any other MySQL databases that may use its resources and put
them on another box

if php is struggling, i.e. timing out or memory not available

5(a) give it access to more memory in php.ini and
5(b) try setting use set_time_limit(60) to increase the amount of time the
script can run -
For me I find image manipulation files need a special this because they can
occasionally take longer than the default 30 seconds

--- I'd be surpised if the above don't sort things out but if not try ---
5. check the top command on the server to see if its handling the load - you
might have to
try more RAM and then a bigger box
7. Try 2 above [by Tech @ LDS]
8. Replicate the database and have multiple webserver front ends - but you
shouldn't

BTW We're starting a PHP/MySQL contractor service in UK (& Scandinavia)
soon.
Send your CV via our site or email to contactor at mattersolutions.com
and we'll be in touch early October

Ben @ Matter Solutions