Log-in form and sessions

Hi all:

Php newbie here. I've been using ASP and VB for some time. Now, I'm moving
to the open source side of things. I'm also re-creating a database driven
site made in php/mysql. I just need a short explanation (btw, I have a book
larry ullman's php and mysql for dynamic pages). In asp I code a log-in page
and then from there, I show data depending on user log-in. I want to make a
log-in form for the site admin. This person handles all content on the site,
admins can create more admins, but there is one superadmin.

Now one thing confuses me, what is all this talk about sessions? I know in
asp I use sessions to pass variables to different pages. How does this
relate to php? I've tried to look at some pre-made scripts, but they seem a
bit over my head. Can I not have session and cookies in my log-in page?

TIA.

-Weng

php-objects@yahoogroups.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511