Re: [php-objects] destructors

Brian Uniacke wrote:

> Hi Nebu,
>
> No offence intended as you are pretty much correct in what you say.

Agreed.  Although any DBA that set up a server that fit the scenario
Nebu described should be shot...  ;)

> However, those of you out there that are wondering what the situation is
> should read this ....
> http://mysql.mirror.trueserver.nl/newsletter/2002-11/a0000000086.html
>
> pconnect  is not quite as bad as Nebu proposes .... but it is often used
> inappropriately

On smaller sites with few calls to the database or low traffic then
pconnect probably isn't really needed, but it doesn't hurt either.  With
persistant connections it's the httpd child that's maintaining the
connection so when the script itself has ended the connection is left
open.  If the mysqld can only handle 16 connections while httpd allows
500 child processes to exist then that's a case where the sysadmin
should go the way of the DBA above.

Maintaining the extra connections while not in use uses an insignificant
amount of ram also, so that's not a problem.  About the only thing I can
see would cause a problem is if you were to open an unneccessarily large
number of connections to different databases.  Again, this would be a
problem where the DBA should be fired and a more competant one hired to
fix the mess.

Regards,
Gold.
Work :: http://www.babel.com.au/
Play :: http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Unifex

Buy Coral Calcium for Greater Health - $23.95
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MmkSQC/NTVGAA/ySSFAA/saFolB/TM