Re: Hello world1

On 31 December 2022 06:33:01 GMT, JEFFRY KILLEN <jekillen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Hello;
>The most effective and direct way to do form input screening is with javascript. It can also play a sound an/ or just thow up some
>disturbing text style sheet styles to inform the user of unacceptible input.
>
>As far as PHP is concerned, it can do all the screening. But the user input does have to get to the server unscreened if you do not use javascript
>or html5 regex imbedded in the text input element to prescreen it. The downside of javascript has been that the user can turn it off in the browser
>or use a client that does not have javascript. Php also cannot play sounds in the browser (if you want to use sounds). It can serve sounds but javascript
>is needed to play them for the user.
>
>I have been doing web design and development for some time and have seen that well known browsers have all made it fairly difficult to turn javascript
>off if you do not have development sophistication and many sights use it extensively. Particularly commercial sights use it to fetch, load and display ad
>content.
>
>It also means that you have another programming language to get to know and be confortable with. The best and most comprehensive text I know of
>is OReilly publications Javascript: The Definitive Guide. The latest version is the 7th edition. But I would also get access to the 6th edition becuase
>there are significant differences in the language in the 7th edition and the 6th edition will give a better perspective on what the differences are.
>
>Something to be aware of: Javascript is NOT java. It is a scripted language that needs a javscript interpreter to run it. It has been developed from the
>start to be used in web browsers. But it can also be used in PDF (not well known, and Adobe implementation has its own quirks). Google has also
>developed a server side version of javascript: node.js. I have rudimentary experience with it and understand it to be fairly widely accepted and used.
>
>One thing to come to terms with regarding web development: NOTHING is really simple. So expecting simplicity will compromise effectiveness and
>efficiency.
>
>Best;
>Jeff K.
>
>> On Dec 30, 2022, at 9:39 PM, Deliberatus Freeman <deliberatus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi. I'm a recent adopter of php, and I am coming to love it.
>>
>> I am building a website. I need to accept a form, and it is to accept ONLY letters and numbers; just 1 char of anything else and it must bark like a rabid duck and abort the process. whats the simple reliable way to do this?
>>
>> PS: I rent a slice off the end of the box, and cannot play around with configuring things.
>>

>> Salute!
>>              -Kirk Bailey
>>               It is an ill wind that blows no minds.

Instead of looking at JavaScript, you can do basic checking with HTML form validation: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Attributes/pattern

However, you will 100% need server side validation in PHP. It doesn't matter if it's difficult to circumvent what exists in the browser, you must always validate server side.