PHP Sessions

Folks:

I've been using session_start() and session_name('something') for years
without thinking much about it. But I've started to wonder if there's
an advantage to "naming" a session versus simply allowing PHP to assign
a session ID to it. This had dredged up other questions I haven't been
able to find the answers to.

I have some finance software with various forms, and a menu to navigate
to the different pages/forms. Assuming I run session_start() at the
beginning of each page, under what circumstances would PHP actually
create a new session with a new ID?

I know there's a time limit on sessions in PHP, but is it reset for
each access?

>From my experiments, if I'm connected to a single server, no matter
what software I run on that server, using a specific running browser,
I'll get the same session ID, according to session_id(). That is, if
I'm connect to localhost (for example), in Firefox, I can visit any PHP
software I've written on that server in any tab and get the same
session ID. A different user will get a different session ID on their
machine/browser.

>From what I can see, setting session name would only serve to give me a
different session for each piece of software I write. (Assuming I tell
each piece of software to set a different session name when it starts.)
Is that right?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster