How do I display apostrophe in PHP generated form?

I have an application where the user enters a name which is
subsequently passed to another PHP script for validation using JSON.
If the user's name is, eg O'Toole, then the initial PHP script accepts
it correctly, the JSON format passes it correctly and if I just do a
display of the received JSON block it is correct, but when I put it
into the <input> element of a form for validation everything to the
right of the ' gets dropped.

I have tried addslashes() and that results in:  'O'Toole' --> 'O\'

The specific lines of code:

-------

echo $addrdec['address']['city'];  <-- result of associative array
recovered correctly from JSON coding

results in "St John's"

-------

echo "<input type=text name=rcity id=rcity length=32 size=20 value='"
. addslashes($addrdec['address']['city']) . "'></input> &emsp;";

results in display "St John\"

Looking at the page source that resulted from this the value part of
the element (Firefox won't let me copy it directly):

.... size="20" value="St John\" s'="">

-------

and if I don't use addslashes the value becomes 'St John', truncating
the 's' following the apostrophe.  Frankly, I would have expected a
syntax error if the ' were being used to close the literal but that
doesn't happen.

Looking at the page source that resulted from this the value part of
the element (Firefox won't let me copy it directly):

.... size="20" value="St John\" s'="">

How can I resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

John